Saturday 16 April 2022

How important is Self-Talk in our life




Self-talk are the words or statements that you say to your inner self. This can also be termed as your inner voice. Many times we come across ourselves or the people around us using self-talk. This can happen consciously or even subconsciously. Let us look at some ways by which we can use self-talk and its impact on generating results in our daily life. 

 

Self-talk has a deeper connection to our conscious and our subconscious mind. Each word that we say to ourselves can have an impact on our belief system and could play an important role to alter the outcome of the events that we see in our life. Maybe for once or twice, it may not have a strong impact. But when it gets repeated over a period of time, let us say for months or years, then it creates a strong mental impression that makes it an in-built habit or behavior. 

 

Some of the common negative self-talk words used are (Sorry for the vulgarity) : 

 

·       Oh no! 

·       Come on! 

·       Oh shit! 

·       Bloody... 

·       Wtf 

·       Stupid 

·       Fool 

·       Idiot 

 

Regular use of these negative words brings down the spirit of the person. It is like demoralizing or devaluing the greatness of the person to a low level. 

 

During my childhood when I go to play cricket after a gap of many months, I see that on the first day I perform very well with the bat and the ball. I would be getting good scores and would be getting good appreciation from my teammates. Subsequently, on the second, third, fourth, and final days, my performance starts to dip slowly. I would end up losing my form and also struggle to play a normal game. I also experienced a similar kind of scenario when I play football after a gap of many months. During those days I didn't know the reason for such a dip in my performance in the subsequent days. 

 

Many years later, when I gained the knowledge of motivation, inspiration, and Self-Love, I tried to rewind my memory back to those days to analyze what could have gone wrong. During those gap of many months, my mind used to wait for those vacation days and wished to play a game of cricket or football. In my mind, I used to imagine striking the cricket ball comfortably. I also used to imagine tackling many players and scoring a goal in a football match. After all this positive mind training,  when I then get a chance to finally enter the ground, I see that my mind is fresh with all the confidence. I see that without much delay I begin to perform as brilliantly as I should be. Later as I continue with my game, there comes certain situations in the game when I make silly mistakes like missing a strike or getting out to a simple delivery. When I make such a silly mistake, I criticize myself by shouting at myself. Doing this action repeatedly whenever I make a mistake demoralizes and devalues my spirit. The energy within my internal self goes down and so in the subsequent games I start performing poorly. Over the years this habit of criticism remained in me and affected my performance in my activities. 

 

We must understand that feedback is essential for the progress of an individual. However, criticism and especially self-criticism can be avoided under all circumstances. We must understand that even if we make a mistake or lose out on an opportunity, there are many other opportunities that lie in front of us. If we believe in our abilities then we should believe that we have the capability to achieve our desires and goals anytime later.  The situation of others criticizing us would not completely be in our hands to get controlled. However, we have complete control of our inner feelings, thoughts, and emotions that we have towards ourselves. Ensuring that we maintain positive self-talk towards ourselves would increase our trust, confidence, belief, and self-love within us and help us in giving our best under all circumstances.


I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z

https://www.theblogchatter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluate Your Beliefs

  Every person maintains a set of beliefs that are unique to that person. Some of these beliefs have come right from childhood either from f...